[Nix-dev] automatically mount vboxsf

Andreas Herrmann andreash87 at gmx.ch
Tue Sep 2 11:06:22 CEST 2014

Hi everyone,

I've been playing around with nixops and virtualbox deployments for a bit.

nixops offers a configuration option to forward a host folder into the guest os like so:

    deployment.virtualbox.sharedFolders = {
      hostHome = { hostPath = "/home"; };
    };

However, inside the virtual machine these are not available immediately. These folders have to be mounted manually by executing the following command as root:

    mount.vboxsf hostHome /host_home

I was wondering if there was some way to automate this process. I couldn't find vboxsf anywhere in the supported file-systems. Is there another way to automatically mount it when the virtual machine boots?

Best,

Andreas