[Nix-dev] systemd in the long run: Revisiting How We Put Together Linux Systems (it's almost Nix...)

Alexei Robyn shados at shados.net
Tue Sep 2 12:02:53 CEST 2014

Unless I'm missing something, Lennart's only response to you was: "we
actually try to do our homework before we propose something. We looked
at a variety of systems, and not just on Linux ones, but also what
MacOS, Android, ChromeOS, and even Windows do..."

Which - given it is completely generic and mentions none of the points
you raised (or heck, Nix itself at all) - sounds a lot more like he's
deflecting to buy time to grok Nix. I would think otherwise, but he
wrote detailed responses to almost every other poster both before and
after you...

Hopefully if this is the case he comes back with a solid understanding
of it and not just enough of one to come up with seemingly plausible
reasons why their plan is the superior option. Past experience of people
in general tells me the latter is the more likely outcome but then I
don't know Lennart in specific. Still, here's hoping this instead
results in Nix getting some larger groups interested in it,  as well as
in this class of problems :).

- Alexei