[Nix-dev] Will there be a systemd replacement at any time inthe future?

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 12:21:20 CEST 2014

On 09/02/2014 11:36 AM, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
> However, there is a long-standing issue with stdout/stderr logging: if the
> process dies before systemd has had a change to process its log message, then
> systemd may not be able to figure out the unit corresponding to the message, so
> it may be lost (or not attributed to the unit). See
>
>    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-June/005590.html

I didn't investigate details, but I suspect that losing the last parts
of logs could be caused by the fact that stdout is buffered by default
(and stderr is not). I don't know if the contents of the buffer residing
in the crashed process can be well recovered. Perhaps they have some
hack to force the flush externally, I don't know.

See e.g.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7876660/how-to-turn-off-buffering-of-stdout-in-c

Vladimir