[Nix-dev] Packaging a tool that registers in crontab

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 12:53:14 CEST 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Eelco Dolstra
<eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com> wrote:
> The best solution is not to use cron but systemd timer units. Just create units
> $out/etc/systemd/system/<foo>.service and $out/etc/systemd/system/<foo>.timer.
> On NixOS, add the package to the systemd.packages option to ensure that its
> units are picked up.

I don't understand how that will help. What about distributions with
no systemd? What about the fact that it's the tool that writes and
updates the cron jobs (with the period and arguments). As the
packager, I have no clue about the profiles the users will have.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."