[Nix-dev] Will there be a systemd replacement at any time inthe future?

Wout Mertens wout.mertens at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 12:58:53 CEST 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/01/2014 10:59 PM, Wout Mertens wrote:
>
>> Furthermore, it's still not available out-of-the-box in Docker, so you
>> can't install a NixOS image in Docker.
>>

> IIRC, at the sprint last week, @offlinehacker claimed he made nixos work
> inside docker. I know no details... there probably still were some caveats.

Yup, it needs extra privileges for now, see
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/3779

So until Docker mounts cgroups you can't ship people a Docker NixOS image
that they can run on third-party providers. Pretty trivial to run locally
with the correct flags of course.

Zef's Nix on Docker uses supervisord instead:
https://github.com/zefhemel/nix-docker and the systemd shim is
https://github.com/zefhemel/nix-docker/blob/master/nix-docker/modules/shim/systemd.nix

Wout.