[Nix-dev] Will there be a systemd replacement at any time inthefuture?

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Tue Sep 2 14:53:50 CEST 2014

>I would like to add I absolutely love systemd, as it provides proper
>dependency management, helping immensely for more dynamic setups where
>hardware changes should trigger services reconfiguration, or for
>changing services/vpn/routing based on wifi access point and more.
>It's really nice that - when configured well - things just work, no
>matter if you're booting, restarting some service or switching to a new
>configuration. No more subtle timing errors or things that need manual
>restarts in edgy situations. Systemd's "state manager" is extremely
>capable. And extremely fast compared to oldschool linear scripts.

Unfortunately, making SystemD _not_ do something is harder than making
it do something. It would be irrelevant if it didn't become bigger with
time, but deconfiguring new functionality is sometimes needed.

>If we ever want to move to some other init system, I think this will
>be easier than the upstart->systemd move. That move was mostly
>complicated by the fact that upstart just didn't have most config
>settings and abstractions, so stuff for run-as-user and daemonization
>logic was put into a bash script. That had to be extracted into

If we migrate to a new init system, we will have (for example) to
rewrite all the dependencies.