[Nix-dev] Some staging regressions

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 18:02:18 CEST 2014

On 2 September 2014 14:04, Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com> wrote:
> so -lpq is only added if LIBS doesn't contain the string "pq". And of course, in
> this particular build, the path to PostgreSQL is
> "/nix/store/h5ym9*pq*4fjkv7d4fxzs1qbb601xyl9gk-postgresql-9.2.9" :-)

<rant>
Hell, this is exactly why I hate bash and similar
do-what-you-guess-I-mean languages. Scripts doing more complex stuff
get either fragile or extremely complicated. When working on
multiple-outputs stdenv stuff I partially attempted to be safe
whatever characters are in paths, but the code would be extremely
cumbersome if I wanted to cover all cases. UNIX is insane in that way,
allowing almost any characters in paths but not providing good tools
to handle them.
</rant>

Vladimir