[Nix-dev] About merge vs non-merge

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 21:09:02 CEST 2014

On 09/02/2014 08:23 PM, Rok Garbas wrote:
> so all "merge loving ppl" please keep history clean. github merges are_bad_
> practise said by not only me, i guess you can search google for this so i wont
> spoil you the fun reading on this topic.

I don't understand why merges are considered to "dirty" the history. If
I don't want to see commits from the offshooting branches, I just pass
--first-parent to git log. It's just github that shows history in a dumb
way.

(I actually have an alias git l = log --first-parent --find-renames
--find-copies --irreversible-delete --color=always --no-prefix
--cherry-mark)

Vladimir