[Nix-dev] Developing with older packages

Richard Wallace rwallace at thewallacepack.net
Mon Sep 8 20:12:09 CEST 2014

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On 09/08/2014 05:56 PM, Richard Wallace wrote:
>
>> The API changed drastically in 2.0 and we're not ready to undertake the
>> upgrade yet.
>>

> That sounds like it makes sense to keep mongoDB_1_5 in nixpkgs, at least
> for some time. More people may experience the same issue. (It seems
> simplified by the fact that I see no package that depends on mongoDB.)

One thing that surprised me about nix when I started using it is that there
isn't a way to say, "I need package X with version Y".  Instead, you have
to resort to having multiple definitions of the package with different
package names for different versions.  This seems a bit hacky to me.  As
mentioned in a separate reply, I expect to have several such packages and
being able to specify it that way would make things much easier.