[Nix-dev] About GI_TYPELIB_PATH users in nixpkgs

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 17:12:42 CEST 2014

Since the staging merge (commit 36bef2b267) specifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
should not be needed anymore for gobject introspection users.
The .gir files have the library name hardcoded to the nix store, so that
the .typelib ends up having the hardcoded path to the library as well.

That means only GI_TYPELIB_PATH is needed.

If you feel like your application is not working because of the missing
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I encourage you to file a bug instead of using
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH was very bug prone, because most of runtime libraries were
not correctly specified in the .nix expression, leading to crashes on
update and whatelse.

Some applications are still using LD_LIBRARY_PATH because I wasn't
confident enough to port them. I invite maintainers of projects using
LD_LIBRARY_PATH for gobject introspection to revisit their nix expressions
and drop it if possible.

Best regards,