[Nix-dev] Best way to install a bunch of old Python packages

Jascha Geerds jg at ekby.de
Fri Sep 26 12:01:54 CEST 2014

What is the best way in NixOS to install a bunch of old Python 2.6
packages? Most of them aren't inside nixpkgs and especially not in the
correct version. All I have is a single requirements.txt file (in a
"pip" readable format).

I've found two tools:

[garbas' pypi2nix]
https://github.com/garbas/pypi2nix

[offlinehacker's pypi2nix]
https://github.com/offlinehacker/pypi2nix

The first one can't handle dependencies (a "full" requirements.txt is
required, like "pip freeze" will generate) whereas the latter one can't
parse requirements.txt at all. Don't get me wrong, both tools are great.
However, is there a reason for separating these projects? Is there
another alternative project to get the job done?

--
  Jascha Geerds
  jg at ekby.de