[Nix-dev] /lib vs /lib64

Vincent Laporte vincent.laporte at irisa.fr
Sat Sep 27 13:03:38 CEST 2014

Hello,

I am using Nix on Fedora x86_64 and a clone of NixOs/nixpkgs github
repository. When I install a package, sometimes it is built from
sources, sometimes there is a binary version already built by hydra.

There is a package that I cannot build whereas hydra succeeds. It
depends on `nettle` and uses `pkgconfig` to find it at build time.

When I build `nettle`, I get a tree like this (excerpt):

/nix/store/9skwfbcv4xa41wfzsad56snc2fi2mj8j-nettle-2.7.1/
|-- bin
|-- include
|-- lib64
|   |-- libnettle.a
|   `-- pkgconfig
|       `-- nettle.pc

However the hydra build is slightly different as can be seen at
http://hydra.nixos.org/build/14846797/contents/1

The library and `.pc` file end up in `/lib` rather than in `/lib64`.

Unfortunately, `pkgconfig` does not look in `/lib64` but only in `/lib`;
see:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/development/tools/misc/pkgconfig/setup-hook.sh

What makes the builds on my machine and on hydra so different? Is it an
issue of my configuration?

Should `pkgconfig` also look into `/lib64`?

Best regards,
--
Vincent.