[Nix-dev] NILFS2, NixOS, nixpart and Blivet

aszlig aszlig at redmoonstudios.org
Tue Sep 30 13:51:04 CEST 2014

Good morning,

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 12:29:12PM +0100, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
> Looks to me that all the scary-looking block in the blivet package does
> is replace hardcoded paths with paths to the nix-store that nix provides
> it with, a common practice. I think if you build and try to run the
> newer version in chroot, it should quickly become apparent what new
> changes have to be made for 0.41.

Well, nixpart in the current version is more of a hack (it's an under-
statement - there's heavy monkey-patching involved) rather than a sane
implementation, and still relies on Kickstart syntax.

However, for version 1.0 I intend to use a native Nix syntax for
specifying the partition layout and use blivets device tree directly
rather involving pykickstart _at_ all.

i've scheduled version 1.0 of nixpart (and nixos-assimilate) for NixOS
14.10, so i'm going to pick up my (not yet pushed) branches in the next
few days.

The reason why blivet in nixpkgs is at 0.17 at the moment is that at
least right now it's solely used by nixpart. And i've already created a
"nixpart0" a while ago in order to be prepared for the transition in
NixOps (so that older builds of NixOps won't fail horribly with updated
nixpart and/or dependencies).

> Notably there's no listed maintainer for the blivet package.

Probably should have added myself to the list of maintainers back then.

a!
--
aszlig