[Nix-dev] Let's switch the default shell in Nixpks / NixOS to csh

Ertugrul Söylemez ertesx at gmx.de
Thu Apr 2 08:18:58 CEST 2015

>> This makes me wonder whether maybe we should switch all shell
>> scripting in Nixpkgs to "csh"? Wouldn't that solve a lot of problems?
>> I've heard experts say that "csh" is generally considered superior
>> for scripting tasks because of its more intuitive syntax.
>
> I really dislike csh's syntax, and that of tcsh, and having to learn
> it in order to write scripts for Nix would be undesirable to say the
> least.

What you are saying is basically:  Switching away from Bash is not the
proper solution.  The proper solution is not to assume a certain shell
at all and let the builder itself choose it.  And I agree.  This would
be easy to support by stdenv.  Basically all we need is to make
$stdenv/setup portable (i.e. parametric).

Also I agree that Guix is in a number of ways superior.  My only problem
with Guix is Scheme, because I have some language-design issues with it.

Greets,
Ertugrul