[Nix-dev] Improving security updates

Christian Theune ct at flyingcircus.io
Fri Apr 10 21:49:42 CEST 2015

Hi,

> On 10 Apr 2015, at 21:40, Domen Kožar <domen at dev.si> wrote:
>
> This is extremely important for companies. It's why Gentoo has failed so bad in any commercial environment.

I agree in general, but would like to make a specific annotation: I like the Gentoo security update model _a lot_ more than any others.

We run our machines (few hundred) on a snapshot of portage that can be a few months old: our environment is tightly checked for compatibility, almost like you guys do with channels. We like to pick updates.

Gentoo (and I don’t know whether any of the others do this) provides us a tool that points out which of the installed packages have known vulnerabilities.

This is basically *everything* I need for a reliable security process on my end. Actually providing a patch and integrating that patch into my environment is awesome if done at the same time in upstream, but I’d rather know which packages (of an old installation) are affected by security issues and then go ahead and fix them (e.g. by cherry picking some upstream updates).

This has worked well for us with the exception of some Gentoo-specific annoyances, that I’m not sure apply here: cherry picking updates obviously becomes harder over time when you copy ebuilds around that require insane amounts of structural dependencies from the portage tree.

> Everyone I talk to about Nix (in my past long experience at conferences, meetups, etc), they'd raise two questions:
>
> - How does it compare with docker and can it be used together?
>
> - How do you handle security updates
>
> I have poor answers to both questions as both topics are currently done very poorly. A lot to improve here, I think we should
> start with meta-issues for discussion and general todos.

My personal answer to question 1: is it provides a different axis and I’m kinda glad i don’t necessarily have to touch Docker … ;)

While working towards getting nix in regular use over here I also keep pondering question number two.

Christian

—
Christian Theune · ct at flyingcircus.io · +49 345 219401 0
Flying Circus Internet Operations GmbH · http://flyingcircus.io
Forsterstraße 29 · 06112 Halle (Saale) · Deutschland
HR Stendal HRB 21169 · Geschäftsführer: Christian. Theune, Christian. Zagrodnick