[Nix-dev] DHT as a "storage engine"?

Martin Vahi martin.vahi at softf1.com
Sat Apr 11 07:11:55 CEST 2015

Dear Nix package manager developers,

I hope that I'm not asking a question that is
answered at some documentation, but I was
thinking that the Gnutella file-sharing network

    http://rfc-gnutella.sourceforge.net/

might be an interesting "storage pool" for
software packages, because supposedly the MAGNET

    http://magnet-uri.sourceforge.net/

URL is based on the hash of the sharable file,
which is perfect for a unique software packet ID.
The main benefit of the Gnutella might be
reliability and it would be very attractive, if
all versions of all software packages were
reliably available online, to the point that
even the NSA, politicians and lawyers can not
effect the reliability.

Does Nix package manager already have
Gnutella or something similar as a "storage engine",
or am I writing too wild things here?

Thankfully,
Martin.Vahi at softf1.com