[Nix-dev] Haskell NG: Still no binaries

Ertugrul Söylemez ertesx at gmx.de
Thu Apr 16 17:09:30 CEST 2015

Hello everybody,

today I've attempted to switch to Haskell NG again.  The new tree itself
seems to work for me, but I'm still not getting prebuilt binary
packages.  The only binary I get is GHC, while every other Haskell
package seems to be compiled from source code.

I've tried with the following reasonably minimal setup.  My
~/.nixpkgs/config.nix contains the following code:

    nixos : {
        packageOverrides = pkgs : rec {
            hsEnv = pkgs.haskellngPackages.ghcWithPackages (hs: with hs; [
                cabal-install
            ]);
        };
    }

In my initial attempt I would have liked to switch to the new GHC as
well, so I've also tried the following override:

    hsEnv = pkgs.haskell-ng.packages.ghc7101.ghcWithPackages (hs: with hs; [
        cabal-install
    ]);

I'm on the nixos-unstable channel:

    # nix-channel --list
    nixos https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable

The commands I've tried to get binary packages were:

    nix-env \
        --option extra-binary-caches https://hydra.nixos.org \
        --option extra-binary-caches https://hydra.cryp.to \
        -iA nixos.pkgs.hsEnv

    nix-env \
        --option extra-binary-caches http://hydra.nixos.org \
        --option extra-binary-caches http://hydra.cryp.to \
        -iA nixos.pkgs.hsEnv

Neither of them gave me binaries.  Am I doing something wrong there?

Background: As noted in an earlier thread my current development machine
is too weak to build everything from source.  The build of the GHC
7.10-based environment above took about 30 minutes, and that doesn't
include GHC itself.

Greets,
Ertugrul