[Nix-dev] How to develop with chicken and emacs

Ertugrul Söylemez ertesx at gmx.de
Tue Apr 21 00:11:33 CEST 2015

>> The way I do this is to fire up a Makefile from Emacs.  The Makefile
>> uses nix-shell to start the actual builder:
>>
>>     nix-shell --pure --command "./Setup build"
>>
>> This is an indirection, but it makes sure that the environment the
>> builder sees is (fairly close to) the environment the build script
>> would see when you use nix-build.  And indeed, you can actually use
>> nix-build as well, although you probably don't want to, because it
>> rebuilds the whole thing all the time.
>
> That's a good tip! I will start with this. But it still wouldn't allow
> me to use the interactive features of emacs, if I understand
> correctly?  It would be great to evaluate expressions inside emacs
> without building the whole app.

Well, you can invoke nix-shell instead of the regular shell from within
Emacs.  Getting an inferior mode or any other tighter integration to
work, if there is one, could be more difficult.  One thing you can do is
to make Emacs part of a project-specific development environment using
myEnvFun.  The wiki should help you with this.  Alternatively many
integration modes allow you to specify the command used for invoking the
helper programs.

Greets,
Ertugrul