[Nix-dev] Possible breaking changes from staging

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 11:05:37 CEST 2015

In this period I'm working on GNOME 3.16 and NetworkManager 1.0 [1]. In
addition to that, glib has been bumped.
I'm currently compiling the PR for staging and then merge it if
everything works.

Below the possible breakages you must be aware of. These updates are
necessary to forward our software, we'll fix eventual bugs with the time.

* glib 2.42 -> 2.44

This update is minor yet not entirely trivial. It's probable that
software using gdbus may break because of bugs fixed in 2.44.

* NM 0.9.8.10 -> 1.0

It's big but shouldn't be breaking anything. In particular, you'll see a
vboxnet0 interface in nm-applet if you enabled the virtualbox nixos
service, I hope that will go away with further upstream updates.

We haven't upgraded it until now because previously it showed tons of
vboxnet interfaces, making the applet unusable.

* GNOME 3.12 -> 3.16

I did my best to keep both 3.12 and 3.16 in our repository, but I won't
guarantee that 3.12 will keep working as well as before, I won't
maintain it anymore.

In case you switch to GNOME 3.16, running GTK 3.12 apps will be ugly
because they broke some css stuff. Therefore I suggest you to add in
packageOverrides a gnome3 = gnome3_16; and forget about GNOME 3.12, it
will be dropped as soon as possible.

[1] https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/7357