[Nix-dev] NixOS on a machine with only one user

Linus Arver linusarver at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 19:02:29 CEST 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 04:23:39PM +0000, Amy de Buitléir wrote:
> NixOS noob here. I'm using NixOS on a machine with only one user (me).
> What's the best strategy for installing packages?
>
> Installing into the global system environment
> - or -
> Installing into a normal user profile
>
> It seems that the second method would be a bit more convenient, especially
> if I add and remove new software frequently. Which I do.

Hi Amy,

I also use NixOS on machines where I am the sole user. I try out
packages in the normal user profile first with `nix-env -i` and then if
I end up sticking with it, move it into the global system environment in
`/etc/nixos/configuration.nix`. I try to keep my user profile minimal or
empty.

I am also very new to NixOS, but the above method seems to work well. I
keep track of the system configuration with git, so that's a nice added
bonus.

-L