[Nix-dev] NixOS on a machine with only one user

phreedom at yandex.ru phreedom at yandex.ru
Fri Apr 24 21:09:49 CEST 2015

On Friday, April 24, 2015 16:23:39 Amy de Buitléir wrote:
> NixOS noob here. I'm using NixOS on a machine with only one user (me).
> What's the best strategy for installing packages?
>
> Installing into the global system environment
> - or -
> Installing into a normal user profile

- or -
Installing using nix-shell -p.

This is what I use to install simple packages such as cli tools. More often
than not, I end up not using that utility for more than the current task, so
it's very convenient for the software to disappear once you close the shell.
If you use something often enough to get tired of pulling it in via nix-shell,
then maybe it's worth installing permanently.