[Nix-dev] NixOS on a machine with only one user

Roger Qiu roger.qiu at polycademy.com
Sat Apr 25 04:01:51 CEST 2015

 > Assuming bigger things usually gives you a better or at least more
scalable result, and in most cases the additional cost is very close to
zero. For example every single-disk system I set up uses a two-disk RAID
array with one missing disk from the point of view of mdadm. If it does
happen that I actually want to add more disks, it will be a few short
online commands to do it instead of a tedious reinstallation of the
entire system, and it costs only a few megabytes. The additional disk
might as well be an external emergency disk that starts synchronising as
soon as I plug it in.

How did you manage to make mdadm do that?

On 25/04/2015 6:14 AM, Ertugrul Söylemez wrote:
>> NixOS noob here. I'm using NixOS on a machine with only one user (me).
>> What's the best strategy for installing packages?
>> [...]
>> Installing into a normal user profile
> In general I tend to just assume that my system is an actual multi-user
> system.  I'm a normal user, so I don't make any assumptions on the way
> imaginary fellow users use their account.  A very small number of
> packages will have to be used by the majority of the users on the
> system, for example because they are relevant to the network topology or
> purpose.  Most of them will be installed in the form of NixOS services.
> All other packages are user-specific.
>
> Installing user packages into the user profile has the additional
> advantage that it is safe and secure to install your own packages, which
> you may want to do from time to time, perhaps because you may want to
> use Nixpkgs-master for some bleeding edge version or because you may
> want to use Nix for a custom package or development.  Remember that Nix
> handles not only code.  You can equally well write and deploy a bunch of
> static files using it.
>
> Assuming bigger things usually gives you a better or at least more
> scalable result, and in most cases the additional cost is very close to
> zero.  For example every single-disk system I set up uses a two-disk
> RAID array with one missing disk from the point of view of mdadm.  If it
> does happen that I actually want to add more disks, it will be a few
> short online commands to do it instead of a tedious reinstallation of
> the entire system, and it costs only a few megabytes.  The additional
> disk might as well be an external emergency disk that starts
> synchronising as soon as I plug it in.
>
> Fortunately this is possible with NixOS.  Many distributions, including
> all Anaconda-based ones (RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, etc.), do not allow you
> to do this.
>

> Greets,
> Ertugrul

Founder of Matrix AI