[Nix-dev] NixOS on a machine with only one user

Kosyrev Serge _deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru
Sat Apr 25 16:00:18 CEST 2015

Matthias Beyer <mail at beyermatthias.de> writes:
> On 24-04-2015 20:07:49, Arseniy Seroka wrote:
>> Do as you will.
>> I keep my system profile as minimal as I can.
>
> I do the exact opposite: I put almost everything into the system
> packages.
>
> Why:
>
> I have several machines (currently only one on NixOS, actively used,
> another one not used by now). I have the configuration.nix split into
> several files and put everything under version control. I have several
> "sets" of packages (base, gaming, development, media, etc) and I have
> one main file for each host. This way I can do DRY. I put a new
> package in, say, developPackages.nix and all new machines get it after
> a short git pull && nixos-rebuild switch.

This is exactly my motivation for doing the same (putting everything
into system packages) -- easing syncability/replicability, including
across multiple machines.

My only pain is that the various ~/.* folders and files don't quite fit
into this..  otherwise it'd be pure bliss.

--
respectfully,
Косырев Серёга