[Nix-dev] Loading a shared object into the compiler at build time fails

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 21:37:34 CEST 2015

On 04/27/2015 09:14 PM, Vincent Laporte wrote:
> Le 2015-04-27 21:08, Vladimír Čunát a ēcrit :
>> On 04/27/2015 09:03 PM, Eric Merritt wrote:
>>> When ocaml build B, then it fails because it can't load the *.so
>>> that is part of A.
>
>> That all seems to boil down to the question: how are those
>> so-files searched for? (by the ocaml compiler, I guess, or by
>> what?)
>
> The compiler looks in the colon-separated list of directories given in
> the CAML_LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

If that pattern recurs in ocaml-built packages, I'd expect the compiler
to define an envHook to automatically extend that variable by build
inputs containing such modules. We have already a few very similar cases
in nixpkgs, e.g.:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/applications/science/logic/coq/default.nix#L50

Vladimir