[Nix-dev] nix-shell dropping into a shell without anything new -- update

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan ram at rkrishnan.org
Tue Apr 28 07:34:43 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015, at 03:56 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the badly worded subject line.
>
> NixOS newbie here. Playing with NixOS on a VirtualBox installation and
> really really liking it so far.
>
> I am using nix-shell and the quick start example in the manual (step #6
> listed here: <https://nixos.org/nix/manual/>) does not seem to work for
> me:
>
> [ram at nixos:~] nix-shell -p hello
> these paths will be fetched (0.04 MiB ...
>
> *** Downloading ....
>
> [ram at nixos:~]$ hello
> The program `hello' is currently not installed ...
> [ram at nixos:~]$ exit
>
> [ram at nixos:~]$
>
> Note that the prompt string didn't change when we entered the nix-shell.
>
> If I do:
>
> [ram at nixos:~]$ nix-shell -p hello --pure
>
> [nix-shell:~]$ hello
> Hello, world!
>
> [nix-shell:~]$
>
> I wonder why without "--pure" it didn't get into the shell. Would
> appreciate any help.

I figured that the behaviour that triggered this is the single line in
the /etc/nixos/configuration.nix:

programs.bash.enableCompletion = true;

If I comment this out, nix-shell runs just fine.

This looks like a bug to me.
--
  Ramakrishnan
  "Err and err and err again, but less and less and less" ⟶ Piet Hein