[Nix-dev] ghcHEAD broken?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Aug 11 20:19:10 CEST 2015

Hi Kosyrev,

 > I'm trying to replicate the fix for ghcNokinds, but the determinism
 > two-liner doesn't seem to be enough on its own.

I'm would expect that adding the files VERSION and GIT_COMMIT_ID to the
source tree would suffice. The build logs says:

  checking for GHC version date... configure: WARNING: cannot determine snapshot version: no .git directory and no VERSION file
  checking for GHC Git commit id... configure: WARNING: cannot determine snapshot revision: no .git directory and no 'GIT_COMMIT_ID' file

Apparently, the build process respects those files, no? What exactly
happens when you compile the nokinds GHC that way and try to use it?

Best regards,
Peter