[Nix-dev] nix-shell unpackPhase does not work on my system

Massimo Zaniboni massimo.zaniboni at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 18:27:36 CEST 2015

Problem fixed :-) But the solution is a little "strange", and I don't
know if it is better improving the Wiki.

I installed the bash of Nix

   nix-env -i bash

Then I executed

   bash

Then nix-shell is working

   nix-shell '<nixpkgs>' -A hello
   unpackPhase
   configurePhase
   buildPhase

On Nix

   which bash
   /home/zanibonim/.nix-profile/bin/bash
   bash-4.3$ bash --version
   GNU bash, versione 4.3.39(1)-release (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)

On Mint

   which bash
   /bin/bash
   bash --version
   GNU bash, versione 4.3.11(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

So is it a requirement of Nix, that the hosting shell must be the same
shell shipped with Nix?

When I need to run Nix, I manually execute

   source /home/zanibonim/.nix-profile/etc/profile.d/nix.sh

so by default in my case, the Bash shell is the shell shipped with Mint,
because at login/startup, no Nix package is never called.

Regards,
Massimo