[Nix-dev] Logo improvement ideas

Tim Cuthbertson tim at gfxmonk.net
Tue Aug 25 07:25:07 CEST 2015

Nicolas,

You raise a very good point about the print-appropriate colours. On
reflection, I think the blues I've chosen are possibly among the worst
for print reproduction ;)

Regarding the gradient, I think it's common enough to have a
full-color digital logo (including gradients / shading), with a flat
colour version for print.

So I've added a "print options" file, with what I think are more
print-appropriate colours. TBH I don't have much experience here - I
used CMYK colour selector, but outside that I'm not quite sure how to
make sure a colour is good for printers - should I be looking at
pantone colours or something?

It's also testing against different backgrounds, and in different
shapes (i.e circular sticker, popular for laptops). I'm not sure if
it's bad form to put your wordmark inside your logo, but it's
otherwise quite awkward to put a big circular thing _and_ some
additional text into an outer circle.

https://github.com/gfxmonk/nixos-logo-ideas/blob/master/exports/logo-print-options.png

To be honest, the print works well enough we could drop the gradient
version if we want to keep it simple. But I do still prefer it myself.

Cheers,
 - Tim.