[Nix-dev] Jar files

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:02:19 CEST 2015

Hi all,

We don't have much of a Java presence in Nixpkgs, but I was thinking of
growing it. This leads to what seems like a bit of a thorny issue: most
java code is distributed in jars, which are glorified zip files. Can anyone
see the problem?

The one I'm afraid of is one of runtime dependencies: normally we're fine
embedding other nix store paths in code, under the assumption that the
literal string will show up somewhere in the resulting binary. If you zip
the result, that's no longer true without smarter scanning logic.

So is the solution to make our java packaging never produce any jars, and
explicitly unpack any we encounter? That feels kind of gross. Alternately,
we could have a post-processor that scans the unpacked zip files for store
paths and then replicates them somewhere in nix-support. Also doesn't feel
ideal!

Are there other options? Am I misunderstanding something or is this really
an issue?

Thanks,
Dan