[Nix-dev] KDE with i3 as window manager in NixOS?

Kirill Elagin kirelagin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 11:29:42 CET 2015

I am running KDE with xmonad as window manager (not on NixOS but I don’t
think there is any difference). I always thought the easiest way of
replacing _just_ the window manager in KDE was setting the KDEWM
environment variable during startup which I do by exporting it in
`~/.kde4/env/xmonad.sh` (no .desktop files needed as this should be set
just to executable, e.g. `xmonad`).

But still. If you want to add a .desktop file, that of course cat be done
in `configuration.nix`, but as far as I know there is no pre-cooked
solution, so you’ll have to deal with all the paths and stuff yourself. But
is that really needed? Couldn’t you just add the file to
`~/.kde4/share/apps/…`?