[Nix-dev] Stumped trying to build Idris with mtl_2_2_1

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Tue Jan 13 14:26:51 CET 2015

Hi Paul,

With the current haskell infrastructure, it is difficult-to-impossible to properly override a core package, and due to the transformers dependency updating mtl amounts to doing just that. However, there has been recent work on haskellng, which is a new haskell infrastructure that, among other things, has facilities for such deep overriding, and is available in master (and partially in release-14.12, though some recent improvements haven’t been backported yet).

It’s still a bit complicated, unfortunately. See [1] for an example that overrides mtl and transformers (it also overrides time, which is responsible for most of the complication of that link; overriding *only* mtl and transformers would be simpler). For details on haskellng, see threads starting at [2], [3], and [4].

~Shea

[1] https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/b094768e99782162f6f3c2554a0f983d738f0539/pkgs/development/haskell-modules/configuration-ghc-7.8.x.nix#L43-L87
[2] http://lists.science.uu.nl/pipermail/nix-dev/2014-December/015190.html
[3] http://lists.science.uu.nl/pipermail/nix-dev/2015-January/015591.html