[Nix-dev] Pulseaudio broken in 14.12: Daemon already running

Peter Jones mlists at pmade.com
Sat Jan 24 20:08:30 CET 2015

Kirill Elagin <kirelagin at gmail.com> writes:
> What exactly do you mean by “disabling” pulseaudio?
> Do you have a system-wide instance of pulseaudio running (e.g. by setting
> `pulseAudio.systemWide = true` in the configuration.nix)? If yes, then do
> you have any good reasons for doing so? If no, then disable the system-wide
> instance.

By disable I meant `hardware.pulseaudio.enable = false;'.

> Normally, there is exactly one instance of pulseaudio per user and it is
> spawned automatically (to be precise, it is spawned automatically iff it is
> not already running; and most likely your DE starts one during
> initialisation).

I'm only running the one (user) instance and don't use a DE so one isn't
started when I log in.  When I start an audio application pulseaudio is
started automatically.

The problem seems to be that pulseaudio is started even if another one
is running.  Clients can't seem to detect the running pulseaudio thus
they start a new daemon which immediately dies after seeing an existing
PID file.

How do clients check for a running pulseaudio daemon?  I'm wondering if
that process is broken.

--
Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com
Defending the honor of good code