[Nix-dev] Pulseaudio broken in 14.12: Daemon already running

Kirill Elagin kirelagin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 09:14:43 CET 2015

As Benno said this means that most likely something is wrong with your
session and you don’t get access to audio devices.
What’s strange is that 14.12 uses xorg-server-1.16-* and this should run as
user by default and as a result should crash with insufficient permissions
to access video devices unless you do something special to start it as root.

Do you use a desktop manager or start your X session manually? The
important thing is to make sure that your X server is running on _the same
virtual terminal_ your logind session was opened on, otherwise you won’t
get permissions to access hardware. Desktop managers take care of this and
recent versions of `startx` (starting from xinit-1.3.4 IIRC) also do.
`loginctl show-session <session-id> -p VTNr` tells you what logind thinks
is your session’s terminal. I believe that the default of X is still to
choose the first available terminal, so you have to explicitly pass it
`vt<your-session-terminal-number>` (`startx` does exactly this).