[Nix-dev] Pulseaudio broken in 14.12: Daemon already running

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Tue Jan 27 09:57:48 CET 2015

>> From what I understand, there's no way to use `startx' with systemd.
>
>There might be some NixOS-specific issues here, I’m not sure. But in
>general there _is_ a way: you just login on the text console and run
>`startx`.

No. There are NixOS-specific issues and NixOS-specific
fixes/workarounds; but after a systemd update it became broken. There
is a EPERM line for an ioctl for tty when strace-ing X started from
root login session.

see also:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-February/004614.html

«
My recommendation would be to somehow patch your display manager to
manage your screen only on request, rather then trying to avoid
a display manager at all.
<…>
There's a fundamental contradiction in creating "forked off" sessions like
this: the whole audit system is written in a way that session ids can
only change from "unset" to "set" but not from "set" to "set to
something else".
»