[Nix-dev] Cannot build stdenv-linux-boot on MacOS

Henry Till henrytill at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 17:31:26 CET 2015

I should also add that you could just as easily check out the revision of
the stable channel if you prefer (currently 676e8d7, found at
https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-14.12/).

-Henry

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:21 AM, Henry Till <henrytill at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Andreas,
>
> It is definitely possible to use NixOps on OS X without a Linux build
machine.  I've done it recently by installing NixOps directly from Hydra
using "nix-install-package", and then using NixOps with a clone of
nixpkgs/master in my NIX_PATH (rather than a clone of joelteon/master).

> Here are some instructions I wrote for doing so:
> https://gist.github.com/henrytill/ce67b98a5e65452705f5
>
> The only thing I would add to these instructions is that you will get
more binaries from cache.nixos.org if you check out your clone of nixpkgs
at the same revision as nixos-unstable (currently db75b5d, found at
https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable/), and, as a result, "nixops
deploy" will be a much quicker process.

> -Henry
>

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > On 01/28/2015 08:00 AM, Andreas Bernauer wrote:
> >>
> >> error: a ‘x86_64-linux’ is required to build
> >> ‘/nix/store/6giy9b7xg90p8pqm6f056jqdwdx36jj6-stdenv-linux-boot.drv’,
but
> >> I am a ‘x86_64-darwin’
> >

> > (Note: I know very little about NixOps, so I may not be accurate.)
> > You are attempting to build *linux* packages on a darwin machine. You
can deploy that way, but you need to add a x86_64-linux machine that will
build the stuff (even a virtual one). See
http://nixos.org/nix/manual/#chap-distributed-builds