[Nix-dev] Question about unstable channel

Amy de Buitléir amy at nualeargais.ie
Sat Jun 6 03:10:27 CEST 2015

Amy de Buitléir <amy <at> nualeargais.ie> writes:

> Amy de Buitléir <amy <at> nualeargais.ie> writes:
> > $ nix-channel --add https://nixos.org/channels/nixpkgs-unstable
>
> Ah... maybe I should have done this instead:
>
> nix-channel --add https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable/

And I think I was supposed to do this as root, not as a user. So I cleared
out ~.nix*. logged out, logged back in again, and did the following as root.

# nix-channel --add https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable/
# nix-channel --update
# nix-env -u

And when I exit root, I only see one entry per package, as I would expect:

$ nix-env -qaP xvidcap
nixos.pkgs.xvidcap  xvidcap-1.1.7

But the bad news is that I only see the old version of zlib...

$ nix-env -f "<nixpkgs>" -qaP -A haskellPackages.zlib
haskellPackages.zlib  haskell-zlib-0.5.4.2

NOTE: I know that I can widen the constraints in my Créatúr library to allow
me to use the older zlib. But (1) I want to understand this NixOS stuff, and
(2) I want to make sure that my code compiles successfully against the newer
zlib.