[Nix-dev] Fwd: Single user mode

stewart mackenzie setori88 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 21:38:38 CEST 2015

Okay to clarify in detail:

I'm using luks to encrypt my harddisk.

steps to reproduce:
* turn on machine
* enter grub then press down to select a working nix generation (221)
* press 'e'

I see:
''search -someargs
linux /some/path systemConfig /some/path init=/some/path loglevel=4
initrd /some/path''

-actions I took tht failed to enter single user mode
* entering the keyword 'single' at any point (except last place where it
throws an unrecognized error) - it just continues normal boot process
* entering boot.debug1 *after* the linux keyword + path yields an
optimistic menu but the machine doesn't respond to keyboard input so it's
useless.
(I see:
''An error occurred in stage 1 of the boot process, which must mount the
root filesystem on '/mnt-root' and then start stage 2. Press one of the
following
i) to launch an inheractive shell
f) to start and interactive shell having pid 1 ...
r) to reboot immediately
*) to ignore the error and continue'' - a powercycle is needed to leave.
*  entering "root=boot.shell_on_fail" anywhere continues a normal boot
process.
* boot.trace works, it's verbose
* undergoing a normal boot process to xmonad on generation 221 then opening
a terminal and typing 'sudo systemctl rescue' simply shoots me back to the
X11 login prompt
* typing 'init 1' shoots me back to the X11 login prompt.

Hmmm what am I missing?