[Nix-dev] Some bug tracker experience and RFC on improvements

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 20:58:38 CET 2015

Hi,

I totally agree that we should label pull requests, and I think we should do it.
Still, many contributions made to the repository are not made in a
Pull Request, and it would be nice if we could keep track of these
commits too.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 12:43 AM, Austin Seipp <aseipp at pobox.com> wrote:
>   1) It would also be nice to adopt an official policy of maintainers
> for the source tree; e.g. who is responsible for certain NixOS or
> Nixpkgs subsystems, or Darwin/FreeBSD support, etc. This makes it
> easier to track down the right person, IMO.

You can consider me as responsible for NixOS module system (N-lib) and
a peer on Nixpkgs lib directory.

> There are other things I could think of (e.g. milestoning policies for
> a release), but that's getting a bit ahead of myself. So I'd like to
> get the discussion out there.
>
> FWIW, if people are supportive of this, I'd at least be willing to
> author a CONTRIBUTING.md file to the tree, and re-name all the
> existing labels, and add others as specified above (pending a final
> list some of us can come to an agreement on). That can be done
> relatively easily with an overall bet benefit, I think.

I would be happy to review any modification to the CONTRIBUTING.md
page.  It might be good to list the most relevant parts for persons
who are packaging software in the CONTRIBUTING.md, and redirect to the
wiki[1] for detailed information.  Or just remove the wiki page, and
make this file the central point.

[1] https://nixos.org/wiki/Contributing

--
Nicolas Pierron