[Nix-dev] Question about organising dependencies not in core nixpkgs?

Thomas Hunger tehunger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 11:26:12 CET 2015

Hi,

I usually include a shell.nix file in my libraries for development. If I
have a dependency not in core nixpkgs then I add a local mkDerivation using
"let pkg = ... in {}" to shell.nix (e.g. [1]).

If I now want to use my library in another context, say nixops, I have to
duplicate the shell.nix content because I cannot import from a project I'm
depending on.

I considered having a separate repository of nix expressions that is used
for shell.nix as well as nixops but that makes it hard to release a
standalone libraries on github.

Is this a problem other people experience? If so: how do you solve this?

Thanks & best,
Tom

[1]
let
  flask-oidc = pythonPackages.buildPythonPackage rec {
    name = "flask-oidc-0.1.2";
     [...]
   };
in