[Nix-dev] NixOps doesn't work with EC2 anymore?

Jonathan Glines auntieneo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 00:17:52 CET 2015

> Thanks! I'll try that and let you know how it goes.
> Sort of related, if I've forked nixpkgs would it also
> be a good idea to make pkgs/tools/package-management/nixops/default.nix
> fetch from the master branch? Or would that be unstable?
> Jeff

Well, just looking at the master branch of nixpkgs,
pkgs/tools/package-management/nixops/default.nix is using NixOps
version 1.2. That is the latest tagged version of NixOps, and it looks
like it's still missing HVM for t2 instances. See the tagged version
here:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixops/blob/v1.2/nix/ec2.nix#L131-L138

So, using the master branch of nixpkgs won't even help you. We're just
waiting for the next tagged release of NixOps.

The "nixos-unstable" I was referring to is the latest nix channel that
hydra has built and tested. Using nix expressions directly from the
master branch is a pain in general because hydra hasn't built those
yet. You end up building a lot of things yourself, which is not fun
(think Gentoo's portage). That is why I usually branch from the latest
"nixos-unstable" commit. You can find that commit by just going to the
list of channels and looking at the 7 character string at the end of
the version:
http://nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable/

I have an extremely silly curl/perl script for finding the latest
commit, which I use all the time with git:

~/code/nixpkgs$ git fetch upstream  # assuming you're using "upstream"
~/code/nixpkgs$ git branch myBranch `curl -sI
http://nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable/ | grep Location | perl -n
-e'/([0-9a-f]{7})\/\s*$/ && print $1'`

I hope that makes sense. I'm afraid that might be a bit complicated,
but you asked if it was a good idea to use the master branch, and in
general I don't use HEAD on the master branch. My netbook is too slow
to compile NixOS itself.

> Totally works. Server's up and running :D
>
> Just had to add 'ami = "ami-ca534a8f";' to test-ec2.nix.
> Also took me a little while to figure out that you need to add SSH
> to the allowed inbound ports in the management console.
> Jeff

Good to hear.

Regards,
Jonathan

P.S. I don't think you hit "Reply All". I got confused for a bit. No big deal.