[Nix-dev] Creating offline installation image

Arseniy Seroka ars.seroka at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 14:51:21 CET 2015

Hello!
I'm trying to create an iso, that I can use to install nixos without
internet access.
I've created config [1] for iso creation. So I'm creating iso, booting with
it and after that I'm copying this config to my new machine. Of course I'm
editing it be right configuration for my new machine (boot, imports etc).
But I'm not additing any new pkgs.
So when I do nixos-install, it copes lot's of drv to store, but fails.
It fails because it tries to download patch for pulseaudio as a dependence
for vlc! (which is already included to image, no? [2]).
So, how to properly create and offline nixos iso with all deps and
neccesary files?

[1]
{ config, pkgs, ... }:

{
  imports =
    [ ./installation-cd-base.nix
      ../../profiles/minimal.nix
    ];

  isoImage.includeSystemBuildDependencies = true;

  users.extraUsers.lcd = {
  };

  time.timeZone = "Europe/Moscow";

  networking = {
    hostName = "foobar";
    wireless.enable = false;
    networkmanager.enable = true;
    networkmanager.packages = with pkgs;
    [ networkmanager_pptp
      gnome3_12.networkmanager_pptp
    ];
  };

  services = {
    openssh.enable = true;
    dbus.enable = true;
  };

  services.xserver = {
    enable              = true;
    desktopManager.default = "none";
    windowManager.openbox.enable = true;
  };

  environment.systemPackages = with pkgs; [
   mc
   wget
   zsh
   vlc # [2]