[Nix-dev] Getting started with nix-build

Oliver Matthews ojm at codersoffortune.net
Tue Mar 24 10:49:11 CET 2015

So, I'm attempting to add a plex package. I've followed the instructions in the nixpkgs manual (and cross-checked with contributing to nixpkgs on the wiki). It's all fine up until I run nix-build -A - it's going to attempt to build my package, but also goodly chunks of the full OS starting with glibc. I could understand this if I'd specified versions of libraries not in what hydra is currently building, but I've not. I suspect I'm either invoking nixbuild wrong (nix-build -K --dry-run -A plex-media-server from ~/src/nixpkgs) or I'm missing the nix equivalent of build-essential. Or I'm missing part of the point entirely, but I would have expected the docs (somewhere) to warn that attempting to run nix-build will attempt to compile a full toolchain from scratch (which requires a fair amount of diskspace and time).

Regards,
Oliver