[Nix-dev] Bit-wise identical builds

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Wed Mar 25 11:34:34 CET 2015

Hi,

On 24/03/15 16:57, stewart mackenzie wrote:

> Seems google released http://bazel.io/.

Good to see purely functional build tools becoming mainstream.

> Gaining inspiration on how they get identical bitwise builds might be interesting.

Seems pretty similar to Nix. See "Will Bazel make my builds reproducible
automatically?" in the FAQ. ("Avoid connecting to the network", "Avoid storing
timestamps in generated files", "Avoid processes that use random numbers", etc.
- exactly all the things you shouldn't do in a Nix build either.)

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/