[Nix-dev] Nix expressions and latest packages

胡雨軒 pde-bois at isep.fr
Mon Mar 30 01:06:04 CEST 2015

​Hello, it's been a while I've been interested in nix package manager and I
come now with a couple of questions.

The documentation says Nix conceptually builds package from source but
relies on stores (some package caches) to download already built packages.
So there is some set of fixed package versions and system update depends on
the store update pace, doesn't it?

Is it possible to set nix to always download latest versions of installed
packages, built it aside the old version and upgrade the system
automatically?

I know one could think some latest package may be not compatible with each
other, but this leads me to the next question. I'm planning to use nix
package manager within Arch Linux distro, so the distro team would do
what's necessary to avoid incompatibilities. Then, is it possible to
configure nix to retrieve data both from Arch repositories and from the AUR?

Thanks you very much in advance for your reply and have a nice week!

胡雨軒