[Nix-dev] mxe on NixOS

Andrew Kelley superjoe30 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 20:55:44 CEST 2015

Wrapping this thread up:

mxe has an environment variable whitelist that was causing the problem.
NixOS relies heavily on environment variables (such as PKG_CONFIG_PATH) to
utilize /nix/store/*. mxe has the whitelist in order to keep the OS
separate from MXE, but it also relies on hard coded paths ("standard
directories"). So mxe simultaneously wants to separate its environment from
the OS environment while interfacing with the OS environment via hard coded
paths. The maintainer recognized it as an MXE limitation, a limitation
which was too hard to overcome for such a non-mainstream OS.

Upstream discussion:
https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/723#issuecomment-133584114

Thanks for the assistance in figuring this out, I appreciate it.