[Nix-dev] Understanding runtime dependencies

Eric Sagnes eric.sagnes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 11:26:08 CEST 2015

Hi,
When calling ImageMagick `Wand-config` program, I get the following error:

~~~~
Wand-config --libs                                                                                                                                                                                                  [~/R]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/Wand-config: line 53: pkg-config: command not found
~~~~

>From what I understand (still new to Nix), runtime dependencies are declared with `buildInputs`.
And the nix expression for imagemagick has `pkgconfig` in the `buildInputs`[1],
so I am a little puzzled on how my system can have ImageMagick without pkgconfig.

In case it matters, ImageMagick was installed globally with configuration.nix and nix-rebuild using the unstable channel.

Cheers,

[1] https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/applications/graphics/ImageMagick/default.nix