[Nix-dev] We want your presentation for NixCon 2015 -- 2 more weeks to submit a proposal

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Wed Sep 2 22:36:28 CEST 2015

Fellow Nix'ers,

as you know, our fine community will come together on November 14-15th
for our first NixOS conference. That is our opportunity to meet in
person, to chat, to exchange ideas, to share knowledge, and to create
new collaborations. If everything goes well, we'll use that weekend to
lay the groundwork on which we'll build future projects. This works best
if we can enjoy a wide variety of presentations that shed a light on
different aspects and use-cases of our project. A good presentation
doesn't have to deal with ground-breaking research material! On the
contrary, oftentimes presentations firmly grounded in practical
real-world uses of our favorite package manager are easier to relate to
and therefore more likely to spark fruitful discussions. If you're doing
an interesting thing with Nix, chances are that someone else is doing
something similar. Both of you will never know, however, unless you talk
about it!

In that spirit, I'd like to encourage you to visit

                        http://conf.nixos.org/

and to submit a proposal for a presentation. The submission period ends
on September 15th, which gives you two more weeks to figure out what
you'd like to present.

Among the proposals we've received so far are offers to discuss ...

 - the pressing matter of how to distribute security updates in a timely
   fashion;

 - best practices for writing clean, modular, and re-usable
   configuration.nix files;

 - how to manage services with Nix even though they'll have to run
   outside of NixOS, i.e. on Darwin or other Linux distributions;

 - insights gathered in an ongoing effort to build and deploy Yesod web
   services with Nix that are shipped alongside services written in
   other systems like Ruby Rails;

 - how to deploy micro services with Disnix; and

 - a crazy technical tour through the internals of the Haskell package
   set and the tools that create it.

Subjects no-one suggested to talk about yet include:

 - What is the state of our security hardening effort, i.e. grsecurity?
   What benefits does one get from enabling it and, um, how exactly does
   one enable it?

 - The Nixpkgs database mentions the term "emacsPackagesNg", but what
   exactly is that and what does it do?

 - It feels like there exist half a dozen different ways to create a
   development environment for Python. Which schemes do we support?
   Which one works best? What are the relative advantages and
   disadvantages?

 - How does one set up a Hydra build farm? How can users configure
   advanced use cases like creating their own channels?

 - Nixops. No-one suggested a presentation related to Nixops yet. Can
   you believe it???

Anyway, I'm sure you catch my drift: go ahead and submit a presentation!
Please. :-)

I hope to see you in Berlin,
Peter