[Nix-dev] Changing Nix expressions / Git branches during a build

Bryan Gardiner bog at khumba.net
Mon Sep 7 18:13:05 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it's safe to take a single nixpkgs repository, kick
off a build (nix-build, nixos-rebuild, etc.), and then once packages
are compiling, to change Git branches, edit things, and build more
packages without affecting the existing build.  I would guess that
it's okay because once the derivations are in the store, Nix shouldn't
need the source expressions any more.  But I'd love to hear
verification that this is the case (and if I missed this in the docs
somewhere).

Thanks,
Bryan