[Nix-dev] Logo improvement ideas

Tim Cuthbertson tim at gfxmonk.net
Sat Sep 12 04:10:27 CEST 2015

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 2:10 AM, Daniel Peebles <pumpkingod at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone feel like the S in the NixOS typeface in the new logos is too
> narrow? I love the new graphical logo proposals, but the typeface bothers me
> a little.

Ahh yes, I meant to mention that - I don't really care about the
typeface much (well I care, but the existing one looks fine to me).
But I don't have it installed. According to the current logo svg, it's
"Myriad Web", which comes with various Adobe products (Photoshop,
Illustrator, etc). Since I'm using Linux/Inkscape, I don't have access
to it, and haven't seen any legal way of getting / using it outside of
purchasing Adobe CS. It apparently comes with acrobat reader, but that
license does _not_ cover use outside of reader. Or so I read on the
internet somewhere ;)

So it may be legally OK for someone who has bought Adobe CS to render
out the logo with the "Myriad Pro" font. But I can't do it, and being
an open-source project, it's probably a better idea to opt for a more
openly available font.

So, yeah.. I don't have any motivation to change the font for
aesthetic reasons, only for practical reasons.