[Nix-dev] I want nice things (apache compression)

Wout Mertens wout.mertens at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 13:12:15 CEST 2015

I don't mind reverting commits, I'm just a bit miffed at the lack of
communication around it. I asked a question on how to improve and instead
of an answer it got reverted.

In retrospect, I suppose I should have done the revert myself? At the time
I felt that maybe there could be small tweaks done instead of reverting,
because postponing in Nixpkgs generally leads to issues that languish
without resolution.

I agree that NixOS should provide easy knobs for common settings, and some
of them will be more controversial than others. However, unlike any other
distribution, NixOS allows defining conflicting settings that can still
coexist in code, leaving the end-user to choose what is best for them. You
don't like how compression is defined, you can just provide your own
configuration.

Any pointers on how to implement a per-virtualhost setting, also
overridable on the service level?

Wout.